Yes, the zoo has rules designed to keep you and your family safe during your visit. These include:
- Please obey all “no feeding” signs.
- Remain on the main paths at all times.
- No pets are permitted on zoo grounds, including parking lots.
- Please throw trash away in appropriate containers.
- For the safety of the animals and the public, balloons, grills, scooters, skateboards, roller skates and wheeled tennis shoes are not permitted on zoo grounds.
- Please wear a shirt and shoes at all times.
- Please do not destroy or pick plants.
- The zoo is not responsible for damage to your property while on zoo grounds.
- Stay behind barriers. They are in place for your safety.
- The Akron Zoo is a non-smoking, non-vaping park.
- Have fun!
The entire park (including habitats and undeveloped land) spans over 77 acres with more than 1000 animals from around the world. The zoo also has a train, carousel, Boma and other interactive opportunities in which guests may choose to participate in. Most visitors stay for 2 to 4 hours, but visit lengths will vary.
Food is available in Komodo Kingdom Café, Grasslands Café, Panda Treats Food Truck and other food carts throughout the zoo. Komodo Kingdom Café is open year-round while other options will vary seasonally.
Guests are also permitted to bring food into the zoo. There are several picnic areas available on a first-come, first-serve basis unless already reserved in advance.
The Akron Zoo offers stroller rentals at $8 for a single stroller and $12 for a double stroller. Electric scooters are available for $27. A limited number of complimentary wheelchairs are available on a first-come, first-served basis. To use any of these items, the zoo will ask for a form of collateral (i.e. - driver's license, car keys).
Due to the Association of Zoos and Aquariums accreditation guidelines, the Akron Zoo is unable to accept wildlife. Please refer your calls to the following:
- Division of Wildlife – (330) 644-2293
- Fran Kitchen (state license rehabilitator) Operation Orphan – (330) 745-2947
- Animal Control Warden – (330) 375-2320
- Expert Snake Removal Service – (800) 339-9470
- Medina Raptor Center (birds of prey/waterfowl) – (330) 667-2386
The Akron Zoo does not accept pets.
Yes. Please visit the Wildlife tab for information about plants and animals at the zoo, or refer to http://www.aza.org/.
With more than 200 million people visiting AZA institutions annually, all zoo and aquarium employees have the opportunity to educate the public about the critical need for the conservation of wildlife and wildlands. This responsibility assures an interesting and rewarding career, but the profession requires more than a commitment to conservation — it requires hard work. View our list of zoo-related positions and descriptions.