Adult and Teen Volunteer Program
Volunteer Program Statement of Purpose: The purpose of the Akron Zoo volunteer program is to aid and assist the Akron Zoo in the areas of education and conservation through active participation in programs, special events, and public relations.
Volunteers play a key role in helping the zoo achieve its mission and strategic goals:
- Attendance Growth – enhance guest experience and provide quality guest service, community ambassador
- Mission Impact – education programs, roaming, conservation messages, citizen science volunteers
- Sustainable Business – hours of service donated, encourage people to visit, donation of skills and talents
- Facilities – participate in learn, feel, do activities, guest feedback, horticulture
Our group of dedicated individuals donates over 13,000 hours a year. That is a value of $279,000.00!
Adult volunteer program
The zoo’s adult volunteers participate in the following areas:
- Special Events
- Community Displays
Adult Volunteer Job Requirements:
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and must have completed high school.
- Must contribute a minimum of 25 hours annually in one of the areas of zoo functions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public is required.
- Excellent customer service skills are a must.
No formal training or background in education is required. Willingness to learn about animals and how to incorporate conservation education into the guest experience is required.
The zoo conducts an information session for interested participants twice a year. If you would like to be invited to the next information session, please click on this link and fill out the form. The next volunteer training will be in fall 2017.
Teen Volunteer Program
Now accepting 2018 applications
Applications due March 10
Jr. Interpreters use public interaction to help zoo visitors learn about animals and global conservation efforts. A Jr. Interpreter is friendly, enthusiastic, dependable and genuinely interested in people, nature, animals and conservation. It is necessary that teens are outgoing enough to initiate conversations with our guests, as Jr. Interpreters assist with programs, birthday parties and on-grounds activities to educate others.
Teen Program Benefits:
- Meet people with similar interests
- Accumulate community service hours
- Gain first-hand knowledge of various zoo careers
- Free zoo entrance when not on-duty (excludes family/friends)
- Discounts in zoo gift shop and Komodo Kingdom Café
Statement of Purpose:
To aid and support the Akron Zoo in the areas of education and conservation through active participation in on-grounds educational activities, programming, birthday parties and special events.
Teens must be between 14 and 18 years of age and entering 9th through 12th grade at the beginning of the current school year. No formal training or background in education or work experience is required. Willingness to learn about animals and conservation and how to relate this knowledge to the public is highly desirable. Ability to communicate easily and effectively with the public, as well as having excellent customer service skills, is essential for this position.
- A completed Teen Volunteer Application, including typewritten essay.
- Two completed, sealed recommendation forms (give to adults providing reference letters).
- Two sealed, typed reference letters; at least one being from a teacher/administrator. (Home school students may use letters from someone other than a family member, such as clergy, coach, extra-curricular instructor, etc.).
- Please make sure that reference letters and forms are from an unrelated adult. Reference letter and recommendation form may be sent in together in a sealed envelope.
Applications, essay, reference letters and recommendation forms are due by 3:30 on March 10th, 2018. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
All candidates that complete the application process will be invited to attend the REQUIRED Information Session with a parent or guardian. There will be one session on March 28th from 6:00-9:00pm. The information session will consist of program expectations and requirements, a brief zoo tour and teens will also be interviewed at this time.
Teens that are offered a position will need to attend 4 MANDATORY Training sessions in April.
Jr. Interpreter Standards:
Once accepted, teens must follow uniform guidelines: wear a provided Jr. Interpreter uniform shirt, khaki or black pants or walking-length shorts, with close-toed shoes. Jr. Interpreters are required to contribute a total of three days per week with one day being a weekend day. This weekly total can be achieved by assisting in the following areas:
- Birthday Parties
- On-Grounds Activities
- Off-Grounds Activities
- Special Events
- Animal Show Operations
Each Jr. Interpreter will be responsible for seeing that the above is carried out efficiently and in such a way as to be a credit to the Jr. Interpreter Teen Program and to assure the Akron Zoological Park’s continued growth as a viable community service.
Jr. Interpreter Program Fees:
There is no charge for training; however, successful candidates must pay dues of $100 to join the program. This fee helps defray the cost of Jr. Interpreter shirts, name tag, water bottle, manual and various supplies.
Contact the Education Department at 330-375-2550 ext. 7286 with additional questions.