Tuesday, Feb. 16
9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Akron Zoo Komodo Kingdom
The American Red Cross is in need of blood to help provide life saving treatments. You can help make a difference by signing up to donate blood at an Akron Zoo Blood Drive! All blood donations will be tested for COVID-19 antibodies.
To be eligible to donate, you must:
- Be at least 17 years old, or 16 years old with parental permission
- Meet height and weight requirements
- Be in generally good health
How to Sign Up:
1. Identify the time that works best for you.
2. Determine if you are donating blood (one pint) or Power Red (two pints). Power Red donations take 1 1/2 hours.
3. Tap appointment time.
The Donation Process
Step 1: Registration
- You will read information about donating blood.
- You will be asked to complete a form with demographic and basic health information.
- You will be asked to show an American Red Cross donor card or positive ID.
Step 2: Health history and mini physical
- A trained staff person will ask you some health history questions during a private and confidential interview.
- You will have your temperature, iron level, blood pressure and pulse checked to protect your health and well-being.
Step 3: Donation
- Staff will cleanse an area on your arm and insert a needle for the blood drawing procedure.
- The actual process of donating blood takes approximately 7-10 minutes.
- When about a pint of blood has been collected, the staff will remove the needle and place a bandage on your arm.
Step 4: Refreshments
- You will spend a few minutes enjoying refreshments so your body can adjust to the slight decrease in fluid volume.
- Enjoy the feeling of knowing you’ve done something good.