Your Akron Zoo is taking proactive measures to ensure the well-being of both people and animals while monitoring the situation surrounding COVID-19. The health and safety of our guests, staff, volunteers, animals and the community is our highest priority.
The closure of our facility follows in accordance with the joint White House and Centers for Disease Control (CDC) directive posted on March 16 calling for the closure of all outdoor venues. We will remain closed until further notice.
Care for Our Animals and Staff
The zoo’s professional and highly trained animal care and veterinary staff will continue to provide exceptional care for the zoo’s animals using proven care and safety practices that are updated continuously following professional standards and evolving guidance from national, state and local authorities. The Akron Zoo staff will protect both themselves and the animals we care so deeply about with the same level of professionalism that is expected of our accreditation by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA).
While the zoo is closed to the public, we will be providing fun and engaging content on our social media platforms - allowing our followers to continue to connect with our animals.
In accordance with Gov. DeWine's order on mass gatherings, the Akron Zoo is making adjustments to our special event calendar:
- St. Patrick's Day Celebration: canceled
- Breakfast with the Bunny: canceled (full refunds have been issued)
- Adult Egg Hunt: rescheduled for July 25
- April Member Morning: canceled
- Birthday Party for the Planet: canceled
- Hope for the Wild: postponed and will be rescheduled at a later date
- Mother's Day at the Akron Zoo: canceled
- May Member Morning: canceled
- Wine and Paint with the Lions: canceled
- May Members' Night: canceled
- June Zoothing Hour: canceled
- June Member Morning: canceled
- June Brew at the Zoo: canceled
- ZooCamp 2020: canceled
- Father's Day at the Akron Zoo: canceled
- June Members' Night: canceled
- Rhythm of Summer: canceled
- Adult Egg Hunt: rescheduled date is now canceled
How You Can Help
We know supporting animals and conservation education is important to you, so there are several ways you can contribute to your Akron Zoo during this difficult time when the zoo is not able to welcome guests and earn revenue. Donations will go towards the care of our animals.
1. Take care of yourself and your family by following the precautions set forth by the CDC. Without you there is no Akron Zoo.
2. Donate directly to the zoo to support our mission to inspire lifelong learning and conservation action, while providing the highest quality care for over 1,000 amazing animals.
3. Become a member now.
4. Purchase an Akron Zoo gift card, which never expires.
Purchase Gift Card
Need homework help?
Beginning March 23, the Akron Zoo education team is offering homework help to students who may need a little more assistance in science right now.
Students can email their questions between the hours of 9 a.m. - noon, Monday-Friday, to firstname.lastname@example.org. The education team will work to provide further information by the end of the day.