“If not now, then when? If not you, then who?”
Our natural world is changing, but we can all take actions to help make those changes less harmful and sometimes even beneficial for species conservation.
Ways to Give
The Earth is Changing at an Alarming Rate:
- Our planet is in the middle of a mass extinction of plants and animals.
- Extinction is a natural phenomenon, it occurs at a natural “background” rate of about one to five species per year. Scientists estimate we’re now losing species at 1,000 to 10,000 times the “background” rate, with literally dozens going extinct every day.
- 99% of currently threatened species are at risk from human activities, primarily those driving habitat loss, introduction of exotic species and climate change.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
More Ways to Make a Difference:
- Take the Thermostat Challenge: Move your thermostat two degrees warmer in the summer or cooler in the winter to save electricity and money.
- Pledge to be Idle Free: Ask your family, school or business to pledge not to idle their cars for more than ten seconds.
- Decorate your light switch so you remember to turn off the lights when you leave a room.
- Make better seafood choices with the Seafood Watch